Suspect Arrested for Taking Upskirt Photos and Videos of Women in Downtown Silver Spring Mall

Abdul Muhammad

Officers from the Montgomery County Department of Police’s Third District have arrested and charged Abdul Muhammad, age 27, of an unconfirmed address with charges related to Muhammad taking upskirt photographs and videos at a mall in Downtown Silver Spring.

On Friday, May 10 at approximately 12:47 p.m., 3rd District officers assigned to the Central Business District area of Downtown Silver Spring were notified by security personnel at the Ellsworth Place mall located at 8661 Colesville Road, that a suspect was using a device to take photographs and videos up women’s skirts as they rode the escalator inside the mall.

On Saturday, May 11, Ellsworth Place mall security personnel were notified by a resident that a suspect was inside the mall and was taking upskirt photographs and videos of women as they rode the escalators and walked up the stairs in the mall.  A review of surveillance video determined that this suspect was the same suspect from the previous day.

On Wednesday, May 15, Central Business District officers, working in partnership with Ellsworth Place mall security personnel, monitored the escalators inside the mall for the suspect.  At approximately 3:30 p.m., mall security personnel observed the suspect inside the mall.   Officers stopped the suspect and he refused to identify himself to the police.  The suspect was arrested and transported to the 3rd District Station where he was subsequently identified as Muhammad.

A review of surveillance video from the previous incidents inside the mall identified four women that Muhammad had approached from behind and then surreptitiously photographed and videotaped under the victim’s skirt.

Muhammad was transported to the Central Processing Facility (CPU) where he was charged with four counts of using a camera (for prurient intent) to conduct visual surveillance of the private area of the victims without their consent.   Muhammad was also charged with refusing to identify himself to the officers.  He was released after posting a $3,000 bond.