Captain Steve D’Ovidio, Director


The Internal Affairs Division is committed to conducting fair, unbiased, and expedient investigations into allegations of misconduct on the part of officers and civilian employees of the police department. Citizens and employees can feel confident that matters of concern will be addressed in the appropriate manner.

 Contacting the Internal Affairs Division:

Telephone Number:    


Fax Number:   



Public Safety Headquarters
100 Edison Park Drive
Gaithersburg, MD 20878


Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.

 2010-2012 Three Year Comparison of IAD Statistical Data

Submitting a Compliment:

Persons wishing to compliment an employee should prepare a brief description of the employee’s performance and mail it to the employee’s district commander or division director.   For a list of districts, click here. If you do not know where the employee is assigned, you may forward your letter to the Office of the Chief. A copy of the complimentary letter will be placed in the employee’s personnel file. You will be notified via a letter from the Office of the Chief that the Department has received your compliment.


Submitting a Complaint:

Persons wishing to file a complaint may do so, in person, at any of the six district stations or at Police Headquarters. Complaint forms are available at any of these locations. Complaints can also be received via telephone by any department employee.

Complainants may remain anonymous; however, we encourage complainants to provide their name and telephone number to allow us to conduct a thorough investigation into the alleged violation.

Once a complaint has been received, you will be notified by the Department and you will be told who will be handling your complaint. You will be personally contacted by the investigator.


Compliment/complaint brochure

 Compliment/complaint brochure (Spanish)

Compliment/complaint form

 Compliment/complaint form (Spanish)


Please be advised that submitting an internal affairs complaint will not have any effect on charges, either criminal or civil, that have been placed against a person by the police. Only the courts and the State’s Attorneys Office can resolve those matters. A complaint against an employee of the department is a separate matter entirely.