The School Resource Officer (SRO) Program, formerly called the Educational Facilities Officer Program, is an outreach program sponsored by the police department in partnership with the Montgomery County Public Schools. There are six officers involved in the program who serve as liaisons between the police department and the high schools for school and police related concerns and incidents.
A key component of the SRO program is to ensure the safety of students and staff on each campus by reviewing rules and regulations, performing safety presentations, and taking appropriate action to enforce the law when criminal activity has been discovered.
The SRO’s primary function is to enhance the safety and security of the learning environment for students, staff, and the school community in the Montgomery County Public High Schools. Other duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Acting as a resource and assisting with emergency preparedness as well as safety awareness education to the high school population age groups.
- Meeting regularly with MCPS Staff, students, and parents, to exchange information and discuss issues of concern within the school.
- Serving as a point of contact to deliver MCPD programs such as crime prevention, conflict resolution and mediation, drug and alcohol awareness, violence prevention, gang awareness, and community relations and outreach.
- Assisting with calls for service and incidents occurring within their assigned schools.
- Assisting with traffic safety and traffic enforcement activities at their assigned schools.
SRO Coordinator – 240-773-5042-S