A Brief History of the Montgomery County Police
In 1922, there were six county constables enforcing laws in the county but each had arrest powers only in the particular election districts to which they were assigned. The Sheriff and his deputies provided the only county-wide law enforcement. This changed in April 1922 when the Maryland legislature directed the County Commissioners to appoint six “constables at large” to be known as the Montgomery County Police. One Chief and five privates were appointed to two year non-merit commissions renewable at the discretion of the county commissioners.
Today, more than 1,100 sworn officers assisted by 500 support personnel provide full service to large suburban county with a population of over 1 million people.