The Montgomery County Police Department’s Law Enforcement Managing Search Operations Course is designed to provide officers with the skills and knowledge to effectively and efficiently coordinate a police search for a missing person.
The media is invited to attend the last class of this course to observe and speak with Montgomery County Police Search Coordinators, Officer Jason Huggins and Officer John Greene, and Montgomery County Police – Autism/ Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities (IDD)/Alzheimer’s Outreach Unit Officer Laurie Reyes.
Monday, March 12 at 11:00 a.m.
Montgomery County Public Safety Headquarters, 100 Edison Park Drive, Gaithersburg
First floor conference room
There is an increasing population of persons who have one or more factors that put them at risk of wandering/going missing and not being able to properly care for themselves on their own. This increase of at-risk individuals correlates to the increase in calls to the police asking for assistance in helping to locate these endangered missing persons.
The Montgomery County Police Department receives over 3000 missing persons cases every year and in 2017, the Managed Search Operations Team coordinated over 250 active search operations. These searches are time and resource intensive and often complicated by this region’s mass transit system and additional factors like weather and geography.
The students of this particular class are all members of DC area law enforcement agencies. The law enforcement agencies represented are:
- Bowie Police Department
- Baltimore County (Maryland) Police Department
- Charles County (Maryland) Sheriff’s Office
- Frederick Police Department
- Maryland Natural Resources Police
- Prince George’s County Police Department
- University of Maryland (College Park) Police Department
- Maryland National – Capital Park Police (Montgomery County Division and Prince George’s County Division)
- Metropolitan Police Department
- United States Park Police
- Fairfax County Police Department
- Loudoun County Sheriff’s Office
- Prince William County Police Department