Detectives with the Major Crimes Division have completed their investigation of an officer-involved shooting that occurred on Sunday, November 5 at the Stoneymill Square shopping center located in the 12200 block of Veirs Mill Road (at the corner of Veirs Mill Road and Randolph Road).
Information gathered by Major Crimes detectives during this investigation, to include the recent interview of the adult male who was shot by Officer Archer, has been provided to the Howard County State’s Attorney’s Office for review. (An established agreement between the Montgomery County State’s Attorney’s Office and the Howard County State’s Attorney’s Office stipulates that when an officer-involved shooting involving injury or death occurs in one county, the other county’s State’s Attorney’s Office will review the event). The Howard County State’s Attorney’s Office will determine if the Montgomery County police officer acted within the confines of the law or if this investigation will be brought before a Montgomery County grand jury.
Officer Todd Archer, per department protocol, remains on paid administrative leave during this investigation.
As stated above, the adult male has been interviewed by detectives as part of this investigation. Major Crimes detectives have also completed the following (previously released):
- Collected Officer Archer’s Department issued body-worn camera and reviewed that video.
- Collected Officer Archer’s service weapon and duty belt for preservation and analysis.
- Interviewed the person who called 911 (who stated that he was in his vehicle and an unknown SUV was ramming his vehicle).
- Obtained statements and body-worn camera video from officers who arrived at the scene following the shooting.
- Canvassed the area for additional witnesses and surveillance video. Investigators obtained long-range video of the event that was captured on a business’ surveillance system.
- Photographed the scene.
- Towed the Cadillac Escalade, processed it for evidence, and returned it to the family.
- Interviewed the family of the male who was shot.
Investigation by Montgomery County Police Department – Major Crimes detectives has determined that on Sunday, November 5 at approximately 8:20 p.m., the Emergency Communications Center (911) received a call for an assault in progress at the shopping center. The caller stated that he was in his vehicle and an unknown SUV was ramming his vehicle.
Officer Todd Archer was the first officer to arrive at the call for service. He approached the SUV and discharged his firearm one time. The 52-year-old male driver of a 2003 Cadillac Escalade (SUV) was shot. Additional officers arrived at the scene after the officer discharged his weapon. Officers began life-saving measures and Fire & Rescue services were called. The driver of the Escalade was transported to a local hospital with serious, non-life-threatening injuries; he has since been released.