Detectives with the Major Crimes Division continue to investigate an officer-involved shooting that occurred on Sunday, November 5 at the Stoneymill Square shopping center located in the 12200 block of Veirs Mill Road (at the corner of Veirs Mill Road and Randolph Road).
Investigation by Montgomery County Police Department – Major Crimes detectives has determined that on Sunday, November 5 at approximately 8:20 p.m., the Emergency Communications Center (911) received a call for an assault in progress at the shopping center. The caller stated that he was in his vehicle and an unknown SUV was ramming his vehicle.
Officer Todd Archer was the first officer to arrive at the call for service. He approached the SUV and discharged his firearm one time. The 52-year-old male driver of a 2003 Cadillac Escalade (SUV) was shot. Additional officers arrived at the scene after the officer discharged his weapon. Officers began life-saving measures and Fire & Rescue services were called. The driver of the Escalade was transported to a local hospital with serious, non-life-threatening injuries.
As is protocol, Officer Archer is on paid, Administrative Leave during this investigation.
During this investigation, Major Crimes detectives have completed the following:
- Collected Officer Archer’s Department issued body-worn camera and reviewed that video.
- Collected Officer Archer’s service weapon and duty belt for preservation and analysis.
- Interviewed the person who called 911 (who stated that he was in his vehicle and an unknown SUV was ramming his vehicle).
- Obtained statements and body-worn camera video from officers who arrived at the scene following the shooting.
- Canvassed the area for additional witnesses and surveillance video. Investigators obtained long-range video of the event that was captured on a business’ surveillance system.
- Photographed the scene.
- Towed the Cadillac Escalade and processed it for evidence. The Escalade has since been returned to the family.
- Interviewed the family of the male who was shot.
At this time, the information gathered by Major Crimes detectives has been provided to the Howard County State’s Attorney’s Office for review. (An established agreement between the Montgomery County State’s Attorney’s Office and the Howard County State’s Attorney’s Office stipulates that when an officer-involved shooting involving injury or death occurs in one county, the other county’s State’s Attorney’s Office will review the event). The Howard County State’s Attorney’s Office will determine if the Montgomery County police officer acted within the confines of the law.
This remains an ongoing investigation. As information is confirmed it will be released to the public.