Detectives from the 6th District Patrol Investigations Unit are investigating the June 28 theft of credit cards from the victim’s purse at a Gaithersburg restaurant and the subsequent fraudulent use of those cards at a store. Today, investigators are releasing surveillance photographs of the suspect and are asking for the public’s help to identify her.
Investigation revealed that on June 28 between 6:30 p.m. and 8:00 p.m., the victim was dining at the Ruth’s Chris Steak House located at 106 Crown Park Avenue in Gaithersburg. At approximately 8:30 p.m. that evening, the victim was contacted by her bank and notified that someone had attempted to use her bank card at a Target store located at 25 Grand Corner Avenue in Gaithersburg; the transaction was declined by the store. The victim stated to investigators that she had hung her purse, which contained her wallet and credit cards, on the back of her chair while she was dining at Ruth’s Chris Steak House. After being contacted by the bank, the victim checked her wallet and discovered two credit cards missing.
Investigators are asking for the public’s help to identify the female suspect who was captured on store surveillance attempting to use one of the victim’s stolen credit cards.
Anyone with information about this suspect is asked to call the 6th District Patrol Investigations Unit at 240-773-5789 or call Crime Solvers of Montgomery County toll-free at 1-866-411-TIPS (8477). Crime Solvers will pay a cash reward of up to $10,000 for information provided to them that leads to the arrest and/or indictment of this suspect. Tipsters will remain anonymous.
The Montgomery County Police Department reminds residents to keep safe while shopping by following these tips:
- Carry a wallet in an inside coat or front pants pocket.
- Carry your closed purse as close to your body as possible.
- Do not become distracted by your shopping. Stay alert and be aware of your surroundings at all times.
- Park in well-lighted parking lots and park as close to the mall or store as possible.
- Lock your car doors and keep packages hidden in the trunk or under the seats of your vehicle.
- Do not carry large amounts of cash with you – pay with checks or credit cards when possible.
- Try to avoid carrying a large number of bags. Make trips back to your vehicle to store packages in the trunk as you continue to shop.