Detectives from the Montgomery County Police Department – Special Victims Investigations Division have arrested and charged Jeffrey Michael Uy, age 22, of Tall Pine Lane in Gerrardstown, West Virginia, with the assault and attempted second-degree rape of a 24-year-old female. Uy committed these offenses yesterday afternoon in a Gaithersburg area park. Detectives are concerned that Uy may have assaulted additional victims. Anyone with information regarding Uy or a victim is urged to call the police 24-hour non-emergency line at 301-279-8000.
On Monday, August 14 at approximately 10:42 a.m., the Emergency Communications Center received a 9-1-1 call for the report of an assault that had just occurred in the area of Great Seneca Stream Valley Park located near Frederick Road and Game Preserve Road in Gaithersburg.
The investigation by officers revealed that the victim had been walking her dog on a trail in the park when she was approached by the suspect. The suspect started to talk to her about her dog and then asked her twice to have sex. When the victim refused, the suspect then grabbed her by her arms and attempted to restrain her. The victim freed herself from the suspect’s grasp and fled on foot into the park with the suspect chasing her. Once the victim determined that the suspect was no longer behind her, she immediately called 9-1-1.
6th District officers responded to the park and as they spoke to the victim, she observed the suspect walking on a nearby trail and pointed him out to the officers. Officers stopped the suspect and identified him as Uy.
During a police interview, Uy admitted to grabbing the victim and stated to investigators that he intended to have sex with her. Uy further told detectives that he went to the park for the specific purposes of finding someone with whom to engage in sexual intercourse. Uy further said that he did not care if the victim refused his requests and that he was going to have intercourse with her regardless.
Uy was transported to the Central Processing Unit where he was charged with one count of attempted second-degree rape and one count of second-degree assault. He was ordered to be held without bond.
Montgomery County Police offer the following safety tips when recreating in the parks:
- Notify family and/or friends of your plans – where you will be and what time that you expect to return.
- Know the name and location of the park/facility that you are using
- Always carry a cell phone with you and ensure that it is fully charged
- Should you need emergency services, knowing your exact location at all times will help rescue personnel locate you quicker
- Be observant and aware of your surroundings at all times
- Avoid poorly lit or desolate areas
- If you feel uncomfortable in someone’s presence, trust your feelings and take measures to distance yourself from him or her