Montgomery County Police Department
Centralized Auto Theft Section
Auto theft and theft from vehicle remain a high-volume crime in Montgomery County. Residents can prevent and/or reduce the likelihood of becoming a victim of these types of crimes by removing valuables and any spare keys from vehicles and locking vehicles when they are left unattended.
Having your vehicle or property stolen can be inconvenient and costly, and can also lead to additional victimization. If a suspect is able to obtain personal information from items in a vehicle, you are susceptible to becoming a victim of identity theft. Also, thieves have used stolen vehicles in the commission of other crimes.
The Montgomery County Police Department wants you to lower your risk of becoming a victim of auto theft and theft from vehicle by urging you to follow these safety tips:
- Keep your vehicle keys with you at all times, and never leave a spare key or valet key in your vehicle. Note: Valet keys can be used to start the vehicle.
- Close and lock all vehicle windows and doors when leaving vehicle unattended.
- Remove valuables from the vehicle.
- Don’t leave a vehicle running if unattended.
- If your vehicle has a “push button” ignition system, make sure that the vehicle is turned off and locked before you leave it unattended.
- Park in well-lit and well-traveled areas.
- Park in a secure garage if possible.
- Use a car alarm and/or anti-theft device.
- Use a vehicle locator device.
Many of these vehicle-related crimes occur overnight. The Montgomery County Police Department reminds residents to immediately call 9-1-1 if they observe any suspicious behavior or activity.
If you have questions relating to vehicle theft in Montgomery County, please call the Montgomery County Police Department-Centralized Auto Theft Section at 240-773-6370.