Detectives from the Montgomery County Police Major Crimes Division – Cold Case Squad continue to investigate a homicide that occurred in November of 2000.
On November 28, 2000, Susan Street was found deceased from a gunshot wound on the front porch of her home at 3351 Beaverwood Lane in Silver Spring. Her death was ruled a homicide by gunshot. Detectives believe the murder occurred the previous night between the hours of 7:30 p.m. and 7:45 p.m.
Detectives have determined the following facts during the investigation:
• On November 27 at approximately 7:00 p.m., a neighbor observed two African American males walking near the victim’s home. One of the males was described as being 5’ 7” tall and weighing between 165 to 175 pounds with dreadlocks. The second male subject was described as being 5’ 7” tall and weighing 175 pounds.
• Susan Street was an Avon salesperson. She was last seen leaving a customer’s home not far from her own residence at approximately 7:30 p.m. on November 27.
• At approximately 7:45 p.m. on November 27, a neighbor heard yelling coming from the area of Susan Street’s home, followed by the sound of a gunshot.
• Detectives believe Street was shot on the front porch while attempting to enter her home. Investigators do not believe the suspect(s) entered her home but believe it is possible that the suspect(s) stole property that was in her possession.
• On January 26, 2001 a resident reported that a bullet had struck his residence. This home was located in close proximity to Susan Street’s home. A projectile was recovered from this incident and a ballistic comparison determined that the bullet recovered from the home was the same caliber as the bullet that killed Susan Street.
• On May 8, 2001, a resident was shot at as he entered his home in the 14300 block of Trillium Terrace in Silver Spring. A projectile was recovered and a ballistic comparison determined that the bullet in this shooting was the same caliber as the bullet that killed Susan Street. The suspect in this incident was described as an African American male, 5’8” tall, and weighing 175 pounds.
• From November 2000 to June 2001, detectives investigated several street robberies in the Bel Pre Road area of Aspen Hill where the suspect(s) displayed a handgun. The two suspects’ descriptions in these robberies are similar to the subject(s) seen near Street’s home prior to her murder. (Two African American males walking near the victim’s home. One of the males was described as being 5’7” tall and weighing between 165 to 175 pounds with dreadlocks. The second male was described as being 5’7” tall and weighing 175 pounds).
Detectives believe that Susan Street’s murder was the result of an opportunistic robbery and that the suspect(s) may have resided in the Pepper Tree Farm apartment complex.
Detectives are urging anyone who may have information regarding the suspect(s) or any information regarding this homicide to contact the Major Crimes Division at 240-773-5070. For those who wish to remain anonymous, Crime Solvers of Montgomery County is offering a reward of up to $10,000 for any information that leads to the arrest of the suspect(s). Tipsters can call Crime Solvers of Montgomery County toll-free at 1-866-411-TIPS (8477).