Note: The event will be held rain or shine! If need be, we will move the event inside to the Public Safety Training Academy gym!
The Montgomery County Police Department is excited to partner with Autism Speaks in hosting the third annual Autism Night Out on Friday, May 29. The event will be held at the Montgomery County Public Safety Training Academy in Rockville. It is our hope that this event will continue to provide valuable safety information to loved ones of those with Autism and also provide for a little fun for the family! We also believe that this event will be a great opportunity for our officers to receive additional information about Autism.
We are proud to announce that the 2015 Autism Night Out Ambassador is Jake Edwards. Jake will speak during the event and will be lending a helping hand throughout the night.
Jake is a 12-year-old, 6th grader at the Kennedy Krieger School-Montgomery County Campus. He is a resident of Montgomery County and loves riding his bike on trails, hiking, exercising, and doing laundry and building projects. Jake’s mom explains that Jake embraces and accepts his Autism as “super powers”. Never wanting Autism to be a negative, she explains that he has learned that his brain just works faster than most people and sorting multiple thoughts can be challenging. Jake is always willing to help people understand how people with “super powers” may act and feel.
Officer Laurie Reyes of the Department’s Autism Outreach Program says of Jake’s appointment to event ambassador, “ Jake is a great kid who will be famous and rule the world one day. Good for us, to get on the Jake bandwagon early! Jake is motivational and represents both the struggles and accomplishments of a person with Autism.”
The Department, Autism Speaks, and Jake, hope to see you on May 29!
What: “Autism Night Out” Event – Hosted by the Montgomery County Police Department and Autism Speaks
When: Friday, May 29, 2015 from 6:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
Where: Public Safety Training Academy, 9710 Great Seneca Highway, Rockville 20850
For Who: Caregivers, Parents, Children, Loved Ones, Siblings, and Community Members Who Want to Learn More About Autism
Activities will include:
- Specially trained search and rescue police officers (Montgomery County Police- Managed Search Operations Team) and fire & rescue personnel will demonstrate specialized equipment and answer questions
- Resources and tools to help keep children with Autism safe
- Fun for the kids! Temporary Tattoos, Moon Bounce, Face Painting
- Meet our K9s and their handlers
- Tour emergency vehicles (police cruiser, fire truck)
- Tour school bus and talk with Montgomery County Public School Transportation personnel
- Information on Special Olympics, Therapeutic Horseback Riding, and Swimming Lessons
- FREE Autism Safety Kit for all attendees
- Family fun zone with activities for children of all abilities
*Although signing up is not required, knowing how many people may attend assists event planners in preparing for the event and bringing enough supplies! Thank you!
Questions? Feel free to contact our Autism Outreach Officers by e-mail:
Officer Laurie Reyes – Laurie.Reyes@montgomerycountymd.gov
Officer Tara Wimmer – Tara.Wimmer@montgomerycountymd.gov