- The Montgomery County Police Department is currently accepting applications for the next session of the Citizen Academy. The Academy is free.
- Participants must be 18 years of age or older and either live or work in Montgomery County.
- The next Citizen Academy is scheduled to begin on August 18, 2015, and will be held on Tuesday evenings from 7-9:30 p.m., for 15 consecutive weeks. Graduation will be held on November 19, 2015.
- The Citizen Academy is held at the Public Safety Training Academy located at 9710 Great Seneca Highway in Rockville.
HOW TO APPLY:
- Complete the form and mail it to the listed address.
- Applications are being accepted on a first come, first served basis. Please note that the class is very popular and with a class limit of 40 participants, the class can fill up fast.
- Once the session is full, all other applications will be held for potential enrollment in future Citizen Academy classes.
ABOUT THE CITIZEN ACADEMY:
Participants who are selected for the program are required to attend 12 of the 15 classes to be eligible for graduation. Some of the topics covered include: firearm safety, Maryland traffic law, investigating major crimes, drug identification, scams and fraud, prostitution, forensics/crime lab, physical/sexual child abuse, a canine demonstration, DUI/underage drinking, and the procedures of the Emergency Response Team. Academy members also have the option of touring the Montgomery County Detention Center and participating in a ride-along with a police officer.
The first Citizen Academy was held in January of 1994. It was developed as an extension of the Department’s community policing efforts. Community members who went through the program came out with a greater awareness of the functions of the police department, the various roles of police officers, and a better understanding of why and how officers do their jobs.
- Please contact 240-773-6900.
- Visit the Citizen Academy webpage